Ladysmith was founded to provide living space for the
miners and their families who worked at the Extension
coal mines about 20 miles to the north of Ladysmith.
Many buildings (commercial and residential) were moved
to this site via rail and by oxen; some have been
refurbished and still stand today. LADYSMITH was named
after a victorious battle in the Boer War, which took
place in Ladysmith, South Africa. The municipality was
incorporated on June 3, 1904.
It now offers excellent services and facilities for
its residents. Also, commercial expansion is available
at Coronation Mall, at the south of Town, and in the
historic downtown core. Work is in progress to attract a
variety of development opportunities to Ladysmith,
including establishing or expanding on waterfront
residential/marine-commercial, marina, health care,
industrial park, heritage and cultural centres.
We look to the future with optimism. Once a single
resource community, her economy will now be sustained
through light industrial, commercial, tourist and
- Transfer Beach Park - Playground, shelters,
concession, washrooms, swimming and amphitheatre
- Community Centre - 4-lane swim pool, gymnasium,
sauna, swirl pool, the "Oasis" (Therapy Pool)
- Tennis Courts - located beside Ladysmith Secondary
School (6th Avenue)
- Community Ball Fields and Parks (10)
- Trail from Transfer Beach Park along waterfront
and Expo Legacy site.
- Holland Creek Trail Network (ever expanding)
- KINSMEN (Brown Drive) Neighbourhood Park -
- Regional Skate Park - on 6th Avenue
- Aggie Hall